Medlar: The Ransom Note Mix
For a long time now Medlar has acted as a figurehead of British house music – channeling a spirit and an ethos which draws upon influence from overseas and the days of New York and Chicago amidst a golden era.
He has released a sprawling back catalogue of music on the likes of Wolf Music, Riverette and Delusions Of Grandeur. His music is often a nod to the principles of the genre and as a disc jockey he draws for a raw blend of funk, soul, disco and house which is hard to contest once lost upon the dancefloor in the small hours. Ever one to get the floor moving we pick up with him in the midst of summer for a session of dance and intrigue.
Listen and read the interview below:
Hi I'm Medlar and I'm based in south east London, I make music inspired by various strands of house and disco.
What does your music sound like?
• Where was the mix recorded?
It was recorded in a laptop at home as we're still setting stuff up at my place, ripped records and some new tracks stuck together in Ableton Live.
• What would be the ideal setting to listen to the mix?
Wherever you are right now.
• What should we be wearing?
A linen suit.
• What would be your dream setting to record a mix: Location/system/format?
A good recording of a good party, wherever it may be!
• Which track in the mix is your current favourite?
Medlar & MSSS as it reminds me of MSSS <3
• What’s your favourite recorded mix of all time?
I think it would have to be Grease Medley.
• If you could go back to back with any DJ from throughout history, who would it be and why?
Danny Dyer so we could reminisce about the glory days of Carlton Cole.
• What was your first DJ set up at home and what is it now?
I slowly bought a gemini mixer and 2 stanton decks over the course of a year with my weekend supermarket job, never really had an elaborate DJ setup at home since, but usually always some turntables at home.
• What’s more important, the track you start on or the track you end on?
Generally the first, though if closing a party then the last one is important!
• What were the first and last records you bought?
A Slammin Vinyl jungle/d&b 3 x 12" – Twoman EP on Man Band.
• If this mix was an edible thing, what would it taste like?
A white wine spritzer .. spritzer .. spritzer.
• If it was an animal what would it be?
It would be a sea cow.
• One record in your collection that is impossible to mix into anything?
Some of the ones I've made, stupidly.
• Upcoming in the world of…
Medlar & MSSS – Baby Gone Batshit (free download / limited vinyl)
Medlar – RSA (Me Me Me)
Afterlife – Give It Up (Medlar Remix)
• Anything else we need to discuss?
Thanks for having me, and for your excellent label and record shop!
Follow Medlar on Facebook HERE.
Joining The Circus
What to do for British politics?
Solidarity with Ukraine
URL vs. IRL
Do DJs Today Need Social Media to Be Heard?
I Hear (Borusiade Remix)
Mother of MarsShop Now
Hologram TeenShop Now