London is awash with parties, promoters and peddlers. Only the very best rise to the top amidst an increasingly saturated market, it requires individuality, a sense of understanding and ultimately it requires skill. commune has been run by Josh Thomas and Will Edge (alongside Alex Powis and James Rice) for four years now and has played host to an array of guests, however, more recently the pair have adopted the guise as disc jockeys in their own right and have taken the name further than ever before. With a regular show on Balamii they have established themselves as a force to be reckoned with in the booth. This amidst running events, which includes club nights to film screenings, ensures they stay agile and at the very forefront of dance music and culture in the capital. Oh, and they have a studio too.
We invited Josh and Will aka Noah Hope and Billson, to contribute to our mix series as we showcase their talent and talk shop.
Listen and read the interview below:
01. Space Ghost - Color Waves [forthcoming Tartelet]
02. Hugh Mane - Real Sucker For Your Love [Adult Comtemporary]
03. Wolf Müller & Niklas Wandt - Lockerina [Growing Bin]
04. Arnaldo - A Song Name Of One Word [Smallville]
05. Central - Ment [YIELD]
06. Neinzer - Weiblich [International Black]
07. Jayson Wynters - Chi Kung [secretsundaze]
08. Peggy Gou - Han Jan [forthcoming Ninja Tune]
09. Steve Spacek - Boo Step [forthcoming Eglo]
10. Danvers - My Nina [Co-Op Presents]
11. Colm K - Six Four Hundred [Tiff's Joints]
12. Neue Garfik - To Peckham Rye [Rhythm Section]
13. Mike Dunn Presents Mr. 69 - Phreaky MF [Robsoul Recordings]
14. Demuja - Move [Freerange Records]
15. Ron Obvious - Reseda Drive-In [L.B Produce]
16. Omar S - Set It Out [FXHE]
17. DJ Khalab - Zaire (Medlar remix) [Forthcoming On The Corner]
18. DJ Boring & Stanley Schmidt - Stay Young [Vienna]
19. Radioactive Man - White Light Monochrome [Reinhardt]
20. Akkord - Megalith [Houdstooth]
21. Forest Drive West - Static [Livity Sound]
22. The Persuader - What's the Time Mr. Templar? [P&D]
23. Radnomder - Huh [LIES]
24. Haider - Retrofuturist [Forthcoming Breaker Breaker]
25. Luke Eargoggle - In Your Pyramind [Bunker]
Who are you, where are you and what are you?
My name is Josh Thomas. Curious and energetic Sagittarius. Co-founder of commune. Music & Culture Programmer; Producer; Promoter. London via Stourport-on-Severn.
My name is Will Edge, I'm a commune co-founder. I live in London and have a passion for tool restoration.
What does your music sound like? Can you draw what you think it sounds like for us (an image from the old internet is acceptable)?
Where was the mix recorded?
What would be the ideal setting to listen to the mix?
Will: Atop a snowy mountain in PyeongChang
Josh: In the back of an old Golf GTI Mk1 driving on the A449 from Kidderminster to Wolverhampton
What should we be wearing?
Will: White, Blue & Red - in that order
Josh: Customised silk kimono
What would be your dream setting to record a mix: Location/system/format?
Will: A desert island - after being stranded for several decades, I've managed to fashion two Technic 1210's and a Rane Rotary from bits of washed up rubbish. Fortunately, Juno deliver to said island so I have plenty of wax to work with
Which track in the mix is your current favourite?
Will: Central - Ment
Josh: Steve Spacek - Boo Step
What’s your favourite recorded mix of all time?
Will: Objekt - Live at Freerotation 2015 (closing set)
Josh: Hmmmm. Tough one. Probably Slimzee, Wiley & Dizzee Rascal Sidewinder Mix – 2002.
If you could go back to back with any DJ from throughout history, who would it be and why?
Will: Noah Hope because he gets me
Josh: I only have eyes for Billson
What was your first DJ set up at home and what is it now?
Will -The first I played on regularly were my cousins - pair of Gemini's & a Stanton mixer. Now we've two 1210's and a Pioneer something or other at the yard to flex on
Josh - Then: Gemini XL 500's with a Behringer mixer with no EQ
Now: not much better
What’s more important, the track you start on or the track you end on?
If 'start' here means 'chicken' and 'end' 'egg', I'd have Carbonara for breakfast
What were the first and last records you bought?
The first record I bought was Warren G's 'Regulate: G Funk Era' - the last was Nils Frahm's new album, 'All Melody'
First: Cleopatra’s 'Comin Atcha' on tape from Woolworths
Last: Rezzett LP
If this mix was an edible thing, what would it taste like?
Will: A Sainsbury's ham hock sandwich
Josh: A Century Egg
If it was an animal what would it be?
Will: A worried moose
Josh A naughty Narwal
One record in your collection that is impossible to mix into anything?
Will: Karriem Riggins - 'Alone Together'
Josh: the possibilities are endless my friend.
Upcoming in the world of…
Lot's on sonically, visually and theoretically. Keep your eyes peeled for the next big thing.
Anything else we need to discuss?
I'm not sure that there is to be honest, it's been a pleasure putting something together for the lovely men and women over at Ransom Note - the Uncle Buck of our beloved music industry
Follow them on Facebook HERE.