In the 90s, DJ Godfather was among a few producers carving out a new sound that we've come to term Ghettotech. Mixing elements of Detroit techno and Miami bass, he spearheaded a genre that has continued to influence producers to this day.
Getting his start in music early, Godfather first took to the decks at 15 years old before moving into production a couple of years later. Since those early days, alongside his partners, Godfather has built something of a label empire, with Twilight 76 coming first, then D.E.T. Only, Juke Trax and the infamous Databass Records.
Much of Godfather's own output has come via these labels, particularly Databass which he revived in 2018 and is the home of his most recent effort, his first solo album, 'Electro Beats For Freaks', a monster 44-track LP that is being released as a series of seven EPs.
Of course, Godfather doesn't do things in half measures so here we have it, a 52-track strong mix - with plenty of Godfather cuts inside - from one of ghettotech's trailblazers...
Please introduce yourself… Who are you, where are you and what are you?
DJ Godfather from Detroit, I'm in Detroit, and I'm one of Ghettotech's pioneers.
What does your music sound like? Can you draw what you think it sounds like for us (an image from the old internet is acceptable)?
Take some early Electro, Detroit Techno and Miami Bass music and throw it in a pot and stir it up!
Where was the mix recorded?
My home studio.
What would be the ideal setting to listen to the mix?
The beach with a drink in one hand and a joint in another, sitting next to a bad ass chick.
What should we be wearing?
What would be your dream setting to record a mix: Location/system/format?
In a dog park on a Function One system with 2 Technics turntables, a Pioneer DJSM-9 mixer and 100 bulldog puppies running around :)
Which track in the mix is your current favourite?
DJ Godfather & K-1 - 'Detroit Electro Ghetto Tech'. I love the way it came out and love working with K-1.
What’s your favourite recorded mix of all time?
Hard to answer, I don't really listen to my mixes after I record them LOL.
If you could go back to back with any DJ from throughout history, who would it be and why?
DJ Magic Mike in the '90s. I love all the cutting he was doing over Bass music!
What was your first DJ set up at home and what is it now?
2 Technics 1200s and a Realistic mixer from Radio Shack.
What’s more important, the track you start on or the track you end on?
Start for sure! You have to come in hard as fuck.
What were the first and last records you bought?
I used to buy vinyl before I was a DJ. I remember I got Eazy E and the Skinny Boys to play on my parent's record player. Last record I got was a QBert scratch record.
If this mix was an edible thing, what would it taste like?
An energy drink that will jack you up!
If it was an animal what would it be?
A cheetah cause I blaze through those tracks fast as fuck.
One record in your collection that is impossible to mix into anything?
Any live rock records I have cause that shit is never on beat. I can mix anything else no problem.
Upcoming in the world of …
I have my next two albums done following 'Electro Beats For Freaks'. Get Ready! Your boy has been working!
Anything else we need to discuss?
Yes, what are you wearing?
01. DJ Godfather - Only One City
02. DJ Nasty - Drop That (Acapella)
03. DJ ACE - Conversations With…
04. DJ Godfather & K-1 - Detroit Electro Ghetto Tech (Version 1)
05. Detroit In Effect - Detroit Party Train
06. Detroit’a Filthiest - All White Buffs
07. DJ Godfather - Wack DJ Featuring Goodmoney G100
08. DJ Godfather - Godzilla 2020
09. DJ Godfather - Godzilla 2020 (Hornstrumental)
10. Traxman - Da Roof
11. Plus Size Models - Fort Street Jit
12. DJ Rashad - Girls Bust Down
13. DJ Godfather - King Of The Circle
14. Traxman - The Hard Way
15. Sheefy McFly - Cops Come Knock
16. DJ Godfather - D3T-313
17. DJ Nehpets - Lay It Down (Acapella)
18. AUX 88 - You Don’t Want None Of This
19. Detroit In Effect - Nothing’s Like Detroit
20. DJ Godfather - Show Some Respect
21. DJ Godfather- Back It Up Featuring Kenny Burns
22. DJ Godfather- Back It Up Featuring Kenny Burns (Dub Mix)
23. J Shaw - Neuron Galaxy
24. Ghetto loop - Work Them Feet
25. Detroit’s Filthiest - Dark Shadows
26. DJ Godfather - Keep My Name Out Your Mouth Featuring Lil Mz 313
27. Cybonix - The Funk
28. DJ Godfather - 313 Keeps It Down
29. DJ Godfather - 313 Keeps It Down (Dub Mix)
30. Jenson Interceptor - Contact
31. DJ Godfather - It’s On Again Featuring Goodmoney G100
32. DJ Maaco - In My Lane
33. DJ Godfather - Shut The Fuck Up Featuring King Saaidi
24. J Shaw - Pendulum Space
35. DJ Godfather - Own You Shit Featuring Lil Mz 313
36. Cybonix - Cybonix Groove
37. Lil Mz 313 - Sittin’ Pretty
38. DJ Godfather - Make That Ass Go BOOM Featuring Goodmoney G100
39. Aux 88 - Moonwalker
40. DJ Godfather - Jit Like Me Featuring Parkhouse
41. DJ Godfather - Jit Like Me Featuring Parkhouse (Acapalla)
42. Blak Tony - Condition Critical
43. N-Ter - Detroit, Where It All Began
44. AUX 88 - My AUX Mind (Juan Remix)
45. DJ Godfather - They Wanna See My Footwork Featuring Goodmoney G100
46. DJ Godfather- These Strippers Featuring Dan Diamond (Inst.)
47. DJ Godfather - Like Some Dubstep
48. DJ Godfather - Jit Or Die
49. DJ Godfather - Bitch Get Off Me Featuring Parkhouse
50. DJ K-1 - Modular World
51. Model 500 - OFI
52. DJ Godfather - Sunday Morning Spliff
Follow DJ Godfather. The next EP from the 'Electro Beats For Freaks' series will be released 12 March on Databass.
Enjoy this article? Want more?
You can support Ransom Note and independent journalism through our Patreon campaign now.
Become a friend of Ransom Note